* Search Engine Optimization is the process of refining a website for better visibility and ranking in a search engine. It is a marketing strategy, as top rankings in a search engine would not only boost the volume of traffic but also increases business prospects. Top ranking in this context means the relevancy of a website with reference to a particular keyword or group of keywords entered in a search engine or in other words the position of a website in the order of number for such keyword(s). It is a fact that 95% of users including you and me would have found our resource of information in the first 10 results of a search engine. Therefore, search engine optimization or top ranking provides a great leverage over other competitors websites in terms of increasing the traffic. To undertake effective search engine optimization we need to concentrate on the following key factors that influence ranking of a website in a search engine.
Keyword Research and analysis
People enter keywords in search engines to find links to websites that provide them the required results. These keywords form the basis for ranking of the website in any search engine. Hence, it is imperative to identify keywords and incorporate them in the web content. We should have an effective methodology for keyword research or keyword analyzes. The following step-by-step methodology will enable you in identifying keywords.
- We need to first chart out all possible keywords of our business.
- Then we should try them in various search engines and look for their relevance with respect to other websites of similar business.
- By trying them in search engines, we should simultaneously check for the accuracy of our keywords and make necessary alterations, if any, accordingly.
- We must then short list the keywords that could be included or incorporated in the headings and content of our web page.
Meta tag optimizations
Meta tags are used by search engines to interpret the content of the website or webpage and subsequently the ranking of the site. The important Meta tags that are used by search engines are:
- Description tags
- Keywords tags
- Robots tags
- Title tags
We must use keywords in Meta tags and these key words must be relevant to the content of the website or webpage. By providing proper Meta tags with apt keywords, we can considerably boost the ranking of our site.
Content Writing and management
In any Website, content is the king as it explains all information about our product or services and in tune with it, most popular search engines analyze the content of the website for rankings. We must understand the importance of content and provide quality content – incorporating keywords – through our experienced technical writers. Our content will provide great reputation to your company as quality content will lure potential candidates/clients and convert them into customers. Our technical writers provide content that will greatly influence the readers to hold on to the website and visit them frequently. To achieve high quality content we should ensure that:
- The web content is grammatically correct.
- Is interesting to read, with clear and concise sentences.
- The sentences are short and simple.
- The tense and voice are consistent through out the content.
- The facts, figures, quotes and other important messages are accurate.
- The content is unique and not copied from other websites.
We must also make sure that the content is short and concise as most of the people surfing the net would not be spending too much time reading the website. It greatly influences whether candidates hold on or jump to other links. The other important thing to remember is to ensure that the keywords are used at the optimum level in the content as too much incorporation of keywords will tend to identify the website as spam.
Link building and Popularity
Link popularity is the total number of websites that links to our site. It is an important factor used by search engines to determine a website’s ranking. In general, the number of links increases the popularity of our site and gives more visibility in search pages. They also determine the authenticity of the website and considerably boost the ranking on a search engine. We should ensure link popularity of our site by increasing internal, incoming and outgoing links.
We must provide internal links enabling user to navigate through the website and access all the information available in the website. Search engines use this internal links for scrolling through the entire content and evaluate the quality of the website. This will considerably increase the ranking of the website.
Incoming links or back links are links from other websites. We should submit our website in various directories, forums, blogs, etc. and ensure maximum back links to our website. Back link is a key factor that search engines evaluate while ranking the website. Search engines judge the credibility and authenticity of website through the number of incoming links. The ranking of the websites that provide link to our sites will also be evaluated by search engines. So links from popular sites will increase the ranking of our website. We must also ensure that our site is submitted to related and high profile directories, forums, blogs, etc.
We must take special care in providing outgoing links to other website as per requirements. Outgoing links provide more information to the readers and hence it is highly rated by search engines while determining the rankings. We should also ensure that the links provided are relevant to the contents of our site, since non-relevant links prove counter productive and affect ranking directly. These observations on search engine optimization are the first step towards creating a search engine friendly website. Other features that influence SEO include file naming convention, web site copy, and site navigation.